Sunday, March 29, 2009
The Rationale Behind This
At various times during this ordeal (is that the right word?) I have been told to start a journal. The advice has come from websites, friends, spouse, articles, blogs, and so on. I am not the kind of person to sit and scribble or type about what I feel or think. I'm simply not that patient. Nor do I think it's all that captivating .
But over the last year I have sent emails to assorted friends, co-workers, relations and such in an honest attempt to keep them updated with the latest on my health. I did this for several reasons:
Folks are interested and many of them will never ask, truly ask, about my condition.
It kept me from having to answer the same questions over and over from those who felt free to ask.
After my surgery in May there was really nothing to report. And when I did have something to report I hesitated to send the info out. It struck me how unsettling it must be to go to work in your usual work mind-set, turn on the old 'puter, scan the in box and have your consciousness tripped up by an email titled "Cancer Update," from buddy Jeff (say, wasn't that all done and over?). I mean, what do you do when you get an email like that? Do you read it first? Do you put it off? Do you watch a few videos, look at some funny pictures, and then read it? I think that's asking a lot from people first thing in the morning.
So I figured that if I put my email writing skills into this thing and give out the address to those who wanted it, well, they can check in when they want when they are good and ready. Better for everyone involved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment